Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Turtles

Photo Credit: FreeImages.com

Today, for the random act of reviving the music blog, I randomly picked "turtles" as the theme. Finding five songs about turtles without descending into all children's songs was harder than I thought.

I'm not sure what it means, but Leonard Cohen includes some culinary details in Jazz Police:
Jazz Police: Leonard Cohen
"Guys like me are mad for turtle meat."


A touching tale of ruling and one little guy standing up for freedom:
Yertle the Turtle: The Red Hot Chili Peppers


Won't you join the dance?
Mock Turtle Song: Steely Dan


The turtle shell as protection from love and loss. No YouTube that I could find, so here is a link to her SoundCloud song.
Turtle Shell Martie Hevia
https://soundcloud.com/bluebeachsong/let-me-fall-turtle-shell-by-martie-hevia

Keep on truckin', turtle friend:
The Tortoise and the Hare: Moody Blues


One last turtle song ended up being really, really hard. So I cheated a bit. This song is by Trampled By Turtles. I figure as often as turtles end up on the road, the title was appropriate.


So whether your vision of turtles is cryptic, poetic, literary, or as part of band name on a lonely road, there are songs to reflect your interest. Long live the turtle!

No comments:

Post a Comment