Monday, July 1, 2013

Two Degrees of Separation


By Teresa Y Green

Game time!

Today's post examines the connections between musicians. So here are musician pairs with a shared connection to a third person or group. 

1. White Stripes - Alison Krauss: Dolly Parton and "Jolene"
This pairing is a double connection, because it matches both a musician and her song. Both the White Stripes and Alison Krauss did a cover of "Jolene" by Dolly Parton. Here are each of their versions:






2. Lady Gaga - Andy Williams: Tony Bennett
Lady Gaga did a lovely duet of "The Lady is a Tramp" with Tony Bennett. Tony Bennett did a fun medley of city-themed songs with Andy Williams. Here are the two:





3. Bon Jovi and Barry White: Luciano Pavarotti
Pavarotti links so many musicians. I find his duets odd, but obviously the work of amazing voices and musicians. I especially like these two:

"Let It Rain" 




"You're My First, My Last, My Everything"


4. Mariah Carey - ABBA / Andy Gibb: Olivia Newton-John
I love Mariah Carey's voice mixed with Olivia Newton-John's. 

"Hopelessly Devoted to You"

This next song is a great mish-mash. Olivia Newton-John, Andy Gibb, and Abba sing the Beach Boys--and goof around with some opera. It's not polished but it's really cute.

Lots of different songs--just listen and see:





5. Nanci Griffith - Dave Matthews: Emmylou Harris
Nanci Griffith and Emmylou Harris sound like they were born to sing together. But I confess I wondered how Dave Matthews and Emmylou Harris would sound in harmony. I took a little while to appreciate Dave Matthews. . .his intonation always seemed a little strange to me. But I kept listening, and now I enjoy how unique he is. As it turned out, Dave Matthews and Emmylou Harris sound amazing together.

"The Great Divide"

"Long Black Veil"

There's the Two Degrees of Separation for this post. Researching it, I realized unexpected duets are not unexpected at all. Music is a common language regardless of the genre, and great musicians love to mix it up. I'm sure we'll need to do this category again. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment