Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Songs About Clothes and Other Wearables

Photo courtesy of Tombre

I was surprised at how many songs there are about clothes and other wearables. I picked these songs based solely on which ones I most wanted to hear. If you have any suggestions for clothing songs, let me know--there's plenty of possibilities for another run.

Clothes tell us a lot about a person. . .and when Dylan decides to write about it, it can tell you a lot about a love affair.
1. Bob Dylan: Spanish Boots of Spanish Leather

This was probably the first song about clothing I ever heard. Dolly captures the feeling of not belonging and not knowing why perfectly.
2. Dolly Parton: Coat of Many Colors

I love the odd lyrics. And I love long jackets. And finger nails that shine like justice.
3. Cake: Short Skirt Long Jacket


My father used to sing this song. He was especially fond of Marty Robbins (and because of that, I sometimes find myself singing El Paso. But that's a song set for another time.)
4. White Sportcoat and Pink Carnation



"That suit's pure herringbone."
5. The Coasters: Shopping For Clothes

There are whole wardrobes still to explore--yellow jackets, hats of all kinds, jeans and dresses. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment