Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ain't No Grave. . .

Photo Credit Hisks
(I put this together before George Jones' death, and included "She Stopped Loving Her Today" as just a great funeral song. Now it is a small tribute to someone I've listened to my whole life.) 


This week's songs are about death and funerals--the touching, the maudlin, and the odd.

I love the music, the way Lyle catches the feel of a funeral. . .and even a bit of humor.
Lyle Lovett: Since The Last Time


This song is one of Jim's favorite gospel songs. I love the way it builds up to LAZARUS! and the joy in it.
Aretha Franklin: Mary Don't You Weep

This song captures the feeling I had after my mother died, and I came home from the hospital the day she died. I was alone.
Patty Griffin: Long Ride Home


THE funeral song. It has everything. . .the funeral procession, heartbreak, death, . . .and the Possum hisself:
George Jones: He Stopped Loving Her Today

The next one is sort of a funeral song, since coming to weep at an old lover's grave in mourning clothes is certainly. . .funereal.
The Chieftains and Mick Jagger: Long Black Veil







No comments:

Post a Comment